Sunday, November 22, 2015

Digital Tattoos


Living in the digital world ~ the good, the bad and the ugly!

When I look at people’s tattoos on their bodies I am often wondering why they chose what they chose.  Afterall, this body inking is PERMANENT…FOREVER!  I do not have any tattoos for exactly this reason.  IF I were to get a tattoo, it would need to be something that I both love today as well as when I’m 80.  Plus, the chances of any tattoo that I were to get today still looking good when I’m 80 are pretty slim.  So…no tattoo for me!

So when I think about digital tattoos, I find that I have a similar feeling as I do about body tattoos.  I had always used the term digital footprint, but the term digital tattoo really highlights the permanency of the digital world.  The permanency of everything in the digital world is a bit creepy to me.  I am always warning my own children about this ~ “Be careful what you say or post because it will NEVER go away.”  But I’ve also realized that I have given these same children a digital tattoo long before they entered the digital world themselves ~ thanks to Facebook.  While I try to be careful to not use their names or the names of their schools, etc., it does happen.  I think it is time to go back and recheck my privacy settings!


After doing some digital mining of our instructor’s friend in our tech class , I decided to do some digital mining on myself.  Of course, I knew I would probably find some personal information and even legal documents.  I simply did a Google search of my name as well as searched several sites including Spokeo, Pipl, and Peekyou. I guess I really didn’t find anything that surprised me, but seeing it all on the screen, so easily accessible, was still a bit alarming.  As much as I try to be careful with what I post on social media, it is SO easy for anyone to find where I live, what I do, and learn my relatives'
names. 


This image is from Spokeo and shows the home in which I grew up.


The idea of digital tattoos is vitally important for everyone ~ teachers, parents, and students, to learn about and fully appreciate.  Living in the digital world has many great advantages, but also comes with great responsibility.



1 comment:

  1. It's good to be cautious and to advise your children but it isn't something that is going to go away- digital is here to stay! Remember, it's not all negative- there is a lot of good that can come from a digital tattoo.

    ReplyDelete